July 25, 2008
I don’t think I’ve watched a music video with this much symbolism, imagery, and metaphorical content since, well, ever. You’ll probably need to watch it at least a couple of times to catch the details I outline below, so first, watch the video and enjoy it (I highly recommend full-screen mode):
- Symbolism of handlebars
- Significance of letter ‘C’
- The consequences of being able to dismantle a remote control, while being unable to assemble it again — whilst being represented as a single, dirty apple mixed in a group of supposedly good apples
- Why not rap to a metronome? What’s the significance of the girls who jump rope slightly off-beat from the drums, which happen to sound like a metronome?
- Usage of birds in multiple instances
- Why are ‘new antibiotics’ represented by a winking beauty eye with too much makeup?
- What irony is visible when he ‘sees the future?’ What does the chart represent?
- Radiation causing cancer as a consequence to a supposed advancement
- Color of money
- Color of blood in death of rebels
- Image of Abu Ghraib torture
- Symbolism of the mixed architecture of the tower
- What’s the final message?
Leave a comment